Does Your Home Say Welcome?
My friend Becky invited me to be a part of a test-group for a course she was creating. It was going to be about hospitality. Yes! I need help with this, I thought. So I joined her and watched her share how, as a single widowed mother of two young children, she has learned how to open her heart and home to other women simply because being alone is not an option.
One of the best takeaways I received from her course was the idea that we can plan the perfect event, organize, invite, and invest – but if we do not open our hearts, our home will not feel welcome. You see, she showed me that having people over to my house wasn’t about my house but my heart.
I used to believe that I had to have the perfectly cleaned, organized, and decorated house before I could host. Becky and the other women in that test group were so encouraging as we all shared our own struggles with making the “outside” looking nice and forgetting the whole reason we want people to come over!
Welcome is about a heart attitude, not the state of our home. And so I’m learning (slowly) about hospitality. Opening my heart is much harder to do than opening my home. You see, I can clean up my home, but my story? Not so much. So I hesitate to be hospitiable.
Over the past few years (and especially in the past few months) I’ve learned three PRACTICAL ways I can make my home feel “welcoming.”
- Light a candle. Make it warm and cozy. Have blankets on the couch and invite people to take their shoes off!
- Don’t feel like you have to clean every space. In fact, when I have people over I rarely clean the bedrooms. Maybe just clean and straighten-up. Sometimes I’ve stopped cleaning up every single toy as well. We live here. Toys will be on the floor. Its ok.
- Have a relaxed heart. If I stress and rush around snapping at my family members before guests come over, what will it do to my heart as I try to welcome others.
O I hope God would continue to work in my heart in this area! What about you? As we’ve discussed the word “welcome”these past few Wednesdays – where do you struggle when it comes to welcoming people? Share below….I’d love to know how you have overcome feelings of dread over hospitality.
Welcome Wednesday will open once a week, on Wednesday mornings at 7AM. We have SEVEN co-hosts (myself and six other bloggers!) Please take a moment and follow each blogger on at least ONE social media 🙂
- Only TWO posts please.
- Friendly content only.
- Visit at least TWO other sites.
- Comment on at least ONE other post.
- Follow each host on at least ONE social media.
Feel free to invite ALL of your blogger friends to join us for this all-new link up!