Falling in Love With the Bible (Through the Psalms)
Over five years ago I began reading the Psalms on a regular basis. Everyday I would open my Bible at the center and read words that would comfort my heart. It was during a season of great heartache, grief, and confusion God showed up for me in the pages of the Psalms. In fact, reading the Psalms helped me discover my love for God’s word. This past month I’ve been reading Psalm 119 very slowly. Only eight verses a day. And during that time I’ve been writing out those eight verses a day. My notebook is filled with various colors of ink as the words from Psalm 119 fill its pages. At first I was surprised at how often I found myself in the pages of chapter of the Bible. God’s word was becoming more and more something I loved.
So how did I do it? I did these five simple things (and I’m still doing them today!) to fall in love with God’s Word.
Five Ways to Fall in Love with God’s Word
1. I got a plan. I always have a Bible reading plan. If I don’t have a plan I don’t know where to turn in this wonderful huge book. So I get a plan. You can find a great plan here.
2. I got a journal. No, you don’t need to have a journal, but I find myself wanting to remember certain verses and prayers. I like keeping a journal to keep a treasury of all God has done for me.
3. I wake up each day and begin again. Just last week I skip two days and didn’t read my Bible. Did it bother me? Of course! But I kept going. How do we keep going? We start each day with a fresh start. No matter how long its been, I can start reading God’s word today!
4. Expect. I expect God to show up. Not just in the pages, but in my heart. I expect Him to speak to my heart through the Holy Spirit. He doesn’t speak audibly or speak to me new words. But the Holy Spirit will speak to my heart and remind me of the truth I need.
5. Be willing to change. My Bible reading method has changed, and will change, but also what has hanged is my heart. I pray that over the past twenty years God has made me more like Him. I am willing. So I believe He has.
Falling in love with Bible is a lifelong process. I’ve been reading my Bible since I was a little girl, and over fifteen years ago in collage I really saw God move in my heart through the power of Bible reading. My passion is to help you fall in love with God’s word as well. It is a process. We all come at it for different reasons, in different ways, and during different seasons. The beautiful truth is this: it is never too late to start falling in love with God’s word!
Another great resource is Brittany Ann’s book. “Fall in Love with God’s Word.”
You can find it here on Amazon!
Get a FREE Psalm 119 Reading Plan here!