Five Reasons To Study the Book of Psalms
If you have been around my writing for any length of time you know I LOVE the psalms! I’ve been studying and reading the psalms for about five years now. I’m always reading it, even when I’m studying other parts of the Bible. There is something so comforting about reading through those verses. I think I’ve read through the book at least three or four times. I even have written a journal (coming soon!) on the psalms. One of my favorite things about this book is the variety of topics it covers. Maybe my love for poetry and song lend itself to love this book of the Bible, but I think it’s because I see God most clearly in this book. God comes alive for me, jumps off the pages of this book!
If you are interested in studying psalms stay tuned for a new resource!! First, I want to also give you five reasons to study the Book of Psalms.
Five Reasons to Study Psalms
1. The Psalms Show Us God’s True Nature. Do you want to know what God is like? Read the psalms! The words collected here tell a story about who God is. He is mighty, strong, and powerful. He is pure, righteous, and holy. He is close, kind, and personal. A glimpse into God’s character is found within the pages of this amazing book. People have tried to understand God for centuries, and God hasn’t been silent. Read the psalms to learn about who God is.
2. The Psalms Acknowledge Our Emotions. Are you struggling to understand how you feel? Read the psalms! Each chapter is a look into the various emotions we feel as humans. From fear, to anger, to worry, even unbelief you will see yourself in the pages of each section. God isn’t put off by our feelings. In fact, He meets us right where we are and takes our hand and shows us the answer to all of these emotions. Read the psalms realizing you are not alone.
3. The Psalms Turn Our Hearts to Gratitude. As you read through the psalms you will see God’s true nature revealed as well as your own emotions exposed. The response is to give thanks! There are many many psalms which talk about giving thanks and praising God. In reading these words we are reminded that our circumstances do not dictate whether we are grateful. Our circumstances are there to point us to God. The Book of Psalms reminds us of that.
4. The Psalms Reveal Practical Truth. As I said, we want to know God and be known by God, but what does that look like on a practical level? I think the psalms teach us how to live this life of faith! They reveal truths we can hold on to in our ordinary days. Walking with God doesn’t have to mean we are doing something extraordinary every single day. It means we walk close to God in the “boring” moments of life. Psalms teaches us how to do this.
5. The Psalms Are Easily Read. Although all books of the Bible are for our profit and benefit, some books are easier to read than others. Books like Psalms use plain language, even with the imagery, it is easy to catch on to what the author is saying. So open up your Bible, turn to the middle, and begin reading today.
As I said, reading the psalms is a beautiful habit to get into. I love the imagery, the poetry, and the honesty. If you need help, I have several Bible reading plans using the book of Psalms. Here are three!
Psalm 119 Bible Reading Plan