Five Truths About God from the Psalms
What if the only book of the Bible you had was the book of Psalms? Could you know about God, who He is and what He is doing? What kind of view would you have about God? Although the entire Bible was written for our benefit, throughout the ages mankind hasn’t always had the entire, complete, inspired Word of God. Even today there are people in other countries, where it is illegal to own a Bible. What if the only portion of the Bible you held was the Book of Psalms?
Recently I thought about this, especially after I wrote my Summer of Psalms Journal. So I made a list. Who is God, according to the Psalms? Surprisingly I found God to be more complicated, more intense, more sensitive, more sincere, more powerful than I ever could imagine. Before doing this study I thought maybe I knew God. Nothing will give us a complete picture of God because God cannot be fully known by us. Maybe take a peek with me, as I share with you five truths about God from the Psalms.
Five Truths About God From the Psalms
1. Great and Mighty. Probably one of the most obvious declarations about God given to us in the Psalms is that God is great and mighty. His greatness is beyond comparison! His might is greater than every single man that has lived or ever will live on the earth. God, you are indeed mighty and great. (Psalm 24:8, Psalm 29:1, Psalm 33:16, Psalm 45:3, 50:1)
2. Steadfast in Love and Mercy. Another common theme throughout the entire book of Psalms is God’s steadfast love and mercy. This love and mercy is based not on our own actions, but God’s complete and utter promises to us. God’s covenant-keeping love will be with us forever. No sin, no stain, no transgression is too great for God to forgive. Friend, if you know nothing about God, know He loves you. (Psalm 5:7, Psalm 13:5, Psalm 25:6, Psalm 26:3, Psalm 31:16, Psalm 36:5, Psalm 40:11, Psalm 51:1)
3. A Refuge and Fortress. No one likes to feel unsafe. God is our safe place. No, we are not promised physical safety, but we are promised spiritual safety. We can’t really know what God is doing in every detail of our lives, but we can run to Him as our refuge and fortress. He is close. He is strong. He is more than enough for us to go to when we need to be reminded that we are safe with Him. (Psalm 46:1, Psalm 57:1, Psalm 59:16, Psalm 61:3, Psalm 62:8, Psalm 71:7, Psalm 91:1)
4. A God Who Hears Us. I’ve often wondered if God hears my prayers. I struggle with whether God even cares about us. Do you struggle with this too? Do your prayers feel like they are bouncing off the ceiling? At night I lay in bed and pray to the dark. And God hears me. The Psalms teach us this truth. God listens. God hears. And we might not get the answers we want, but we can rest assured He always hears our prayers! (Psalm 4:1, Psalm 6:9, Psalm 34:17, Psalm 55:17, Psalm 69:33, Psalm 97:8, Psalm 145:19)
5. Faithful. So many times we put human characteristics onto God. His faithfulness cannot be measured. We often look at people and are constantly looking for them to be faithful to us. They won’t be. Not perfectly. So let’s stop trying to put God’s faithfulness as a comparison to those around us. God’s faithfulness is unmeasurable. I’ve seen this personally in my life. I’ve never ever been let down by God. He always comes through for me. And we see this in the psalms as well. (Psalm 25:10, Psalm 26:3, Psalm 31:5, Psalm 33:4, Psalm 36:5, Psalm 37:3,Psalm 61:7, Psalm 85:11)
So if you only had the Psalms, you could know about God! What can YOU learn? Well, I created this FREE PDF journal to help guide you.
So if you only had the Bible, you could know about God! What can YOU learn? Well, I created this FREE PDF journal to help guide you. I’ll admit we need more than knowledge about God – we need to know Him. Over the years I’ve seen the difference between knowing about God and really knowing God comes through two practical things: prayer and Bible study. The more time I spend with God the more I’m able to remember Him throughout my day. No, it is not a magical formula, but it really does help to get to know God better. Download it for free here.