Is God Good to Me?
We live in a world filled with disillusionment. Between cancer and sickness, disappointment and grief, it can be amazingly hard to believe in the real goodness of God, let alone whether God is good to us personally. Looking at our lives we might be disenchanted with the idea of God’s goodness. How can we live believing goodness and mercy will surely follow us all of the days of our lives?
This is where God’s goodness becomes more than a big idea but a practical truth to light our way. Our past can reveal more than hurt, but also His hand. Our present might seem unkind, but God’s kindness to you can be seen. The God who steps into our pain in a tangible way, can lead us to believe his kindness and goodness are real and tangible. God is already good, we needn’t wonder any longer.
Yes, we believe God is good. Yes, we believe God’s goodness exists. Yes. God’s goodness is pure, and part of who He is, but the doubts come. Believe me. I’ve had them. For me it came when life didn’t go as planned. I had told my husband under no circumstance do I want you to let them cut me open. I didn’t want a c-section. Thirteen years later I can chuckle about it because I have a scar across my belly revealing three c-sections. At the time it wasn’t funny. In fact, those few months after giving birth to my firstborn I struggled to see how God could be good….to me.
If you were to ask me, I would have said, yes God is good. But in those days and weeks postpartum I didn’t believe God was good to me. I felt like He was withholding something I had asked for and gave me something I specifically asked not to have. Maybe you are walking through a similar season. Maybe today you are looking at a piece of your life and wondering why God would allow this in your life. Can I stand beside you, tell you I understand, and gently lead you to some truth for your heart today?
Six Ways God is Good to You, Today
1. God is good….because He forgives you. Sin will never have the final word. God has forgiven you. Go. Repent. Be set free from the power of sin because God is always ready to forgive. (1 John 1:9)
2. God is good….because He is close. His presence is not dictated by what we feel or what is going on around us. God is present. Right now. Right here. (Psalm 46:1, Psalm 73:28)
3. God is good….because He hears your prayers. Don’t believe for a second God isn’t listening. He is. You can pray, call, and even cry out to God and He will hear you. (Psalm 116:1, Philippians 4:6)
4. God is good….because He does good things. No, I don’t understand why you are suffering today. The why is not as important as The Who. God is still doing good, even when we live in a sinful world. (Psalm 119:68)
5. God is good….because He has stored up good things. God’s blessings are not just for those who are “strong” or have more faith. God’s goodness is for those He loves. And He loves you. (Psalm 31:19)
6. God is good….because He doesn’t change. Nothing about God will change. His love. His mercy. His comfort. You are safe to run to God in the midst of hard things because God is the same. (Zephaniah 3:17)
God is good…to you and we find out how when we look at scripture. Take these six ways and hold them close to your heart. Doubts might come knocking, but don’t let them in! Tell them to go away because the truth is the truth no matter how you feel. If you need help seeing this, download my brand new devotional, Summer of Psalms.