7 Things We Get When We Rely on God’s Strength
I don’t think I’ve been sleeping well. I was at a conference last weekend and one of my roommates for the weekend is convinced I have sleep apnea. Her husband suffers from it, and she was telling me I stopped breathing for almost ten seconds several times the night before! Shocked, I texted my husband to ask him if he had ever noticed it too! His reply was:
No, you just snore.
Either way, I do believe I’m not sleeping well. I wake up tired and my strength is spent by early afternoon. If we don’t get our homeschooling work done in the mornings, I’m struggling after lunch. I think I know the real reason: I stay up too late.
It really is that simple. I don’t spend enough time actually sleeping. Go figure. I’ve done a great job with my new goal of getting up early. The truth is, I love getting up early so its not the difficult part. The hardest part of feeling rested is going to bed earlier.
But what if you get enough sleep, as I do on some nights, but still feel defeated and tired the next day? If you look at your life sometimes the circumstances can zap our strength faster than the lack of sleep. When I let worry invade my mind it takes root in my heart and suddenly my strength fails me.
As I’ve been reading through the Psalms this year in my Bible study, I’ve noticed strength is one of the most common requests. It is also used to describe God. He is our Strength. A quick look at the Psalms reveal 7 things we get when we rely on God’s Strength.
1. A Way to Fight Battles. “For you equipped me with strength for the battle; you made those who rise against me sink under me.” Psalm 18:39 The psalmist tells us God will help us in our battles. He is the reason we can fight the spiritual battles day after day. He is in the invisible things, right beside us, fighting the evil spirits and even our own hearts waiting to deceive us. Focusing on truth will keep us victorious in battles.
2. A Reason to Sing. “Be exalted, O Lord, in your strength! We will sing and praise your power.” Psalm 21:13 So when we are prone to worry and fear, we can sing for joy to our God. Maybe it means playing some praise and worship music, but God’s strength gives us reason to praise Him.
3. A Present Help. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1 God is not only present in time, but He is present in location as well. No matter where we go physically, spiritually, or emotionally, God is our help. He is our help in every situation. No matter if the earth shakes or the foundations of our very lives crumble around us, the Rock is holding us up even then.
4. A Way to Feel Enough.“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26 So many times we will face disappointment from people. Even from my own self I’ve seen the depths of sin and it is hard to feel like a failure. God’s strength is enough for me, my portion. It is also enough to help me know I’m not satisfied unless I have Him.
5. A Home for My Heart. “Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O Lord of hosts…..Blessed are those whose strength is in you.” Psalm 84:3, 5 We can find a home, a place to rest and a place to feel safe when we rely on God’s strength. We stop striving to build our own wall to protect our hearts and realize He is enough to keep us safe.
6. A Place in His Presence. “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!” Psalm 105:4. If we are relying on God’s strength, we can know His presence is where we can find it. During the times of the psalmist God’s presence was in the tabernacle or temple. Today, we can find God’s presence in the study of His Word. Whether that’s in our own personal Bible study or going to church – we find strength when we seek God’s presence.
7. A Way of Escape.“O Lord, my Lord, the strength of my salvation” Psalm 140:7 God’s deliverance is something we don’t always need. I don’t feel like I need saved all of the time, but if I am cultivating and growing in my reliance on God’s strength, when the deep trials come I can rest more quickly in God’s strength.
I hope this list helps you when it comes to relying on God’s strength. What else have you learned as you’ve leaned on God?
I’d love to share my list of great strength verses with you as well.
Some GREAT resources for you
If you would like help in your ordinary life – finding peace and joy – check out my new Bible study! My passion is to encourage you as you walk with the Lord – TODAY! Order your copy here.
The Glorious Ordinary invites you to study God’s Word in your everyday life! A 9-week Bible study designed to do individually or in a group setting. I know it is hard to walk one day at a time – I’ve been there. But God is found in the ordinary and everyday things. Don’t let the mundane and mess hide the majestic! Check out what other people are saying here.
For FREE Bible study printables – sign up here. You will recieve verse cards, e-book devotionals, prayer cards, and much more!
You get 5 practical steps to start your habit. Reading God’s word is important, and you know this, but starting is sometimes the hardest step. Let me help get you prepared to start – and KEEP GOING.
You will receive my 5 Steps for FREE and get access to LOTS of other free printables!
A FREE Bible reading plan! Do you want to start reading your Bible, but don’t know where to start? Have you ever wanted to read through the entire Bible but can’t quite get past the hard books like Leviticus and Numbers?
Dear friend, may you remember your footing. Your steps are ordered by the Lord, but you can choose where you will grow. How will you grow this year?
If hope seems so far away…..Don’t wait to find help, look to Scripture today.
Receive 7 days of emails filled with HOPE. – Hope-filled Bible verses will be sent straight to your inbox.
Sign up here for FREE and as a special Thank-You get a FREE 40 Day Hope-Filled Bible Reading Plan!
LIGHT is here. The KING has risen. Darkness will FLEE at His name.
Do you know for sure that you are a Christian?
The book First John tells us how we can know FOR SURE! Join me was we walk through what the Bible says about our Identity in Christ!
Let’s discover CONFIDENCE in who we are – in Christ! Sign up for FREE!
Silence doubts. Find Peace. TODAY.
Welcome to Tuesday Talk!
Please pick ONE social media to follow EACH HOST. Drop your link below!
Beth at Our Pretty Little Girls | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Crystal at Hall Around Texas | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Jessica at Sweet Little Ones | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Stefanie at Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam, & Dylan Too | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Stephanie at Wife Mommy Me | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Becky at BYBMG | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Lindsay at Lindsay’s Sweet World | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Sarah at Sarah E. Frazer | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Justine at Full Hands, Full Heart
Christina at Waltzing In Beauty | Pinterest | Instagram
Meghan at The Adventure Starts Here | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Tina at Go Big or Go Home | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Whitney at Polka-Dotty Place | Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram
Link up here: